Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Land of the rising fun (it's a shitty title, I know!)

Took quite a long flight to reach my destination. Japan sems so close, but it's actually quite far away. So much so that you feel like you are in a whole 'nother world all together. Anyways, I got in to Narita airport a little earlier than expected, coming off the plane at around 4:15 japan time. I slept a bit on the plane, but that was a feat in itself. I don't get how old people fall asleep upright in chairs. After getting off and going through customs, I made my way down to the JR Rail office to get my pass. They were quite helpful in showing me how to get to Asakusabashi, and they even gave me a reserved seat for the Narita express. It still amazes me how beautiful japan really is. Once that train left the tunnel, I entered into a world of lush green countryside that seemed to spread on for miles. When staying in japan I always forget to realize that I am on a tiny island. All I could do was gaze out the window and stare at the fascinating architecture and simple farm houses that spanned the area. The ride was a nice 1 hour excursion, and then I had to get off at Tokyo station to switch trains. It was at that moment that I remembered how crammed the subways here get. I seriously saw a poor teenage girl pressed against the glass of the window because there were so many people. Luckily, by the time I got on it wasn't bad. I must have just missed rush hour, but I was there to see the end of it. So I took the local train to akihabara and then switched over to another train which took me to Asakusabashi. I got off at my destination and began to follow the directions to the hostel, which I had stored on my phone. The problem was that the directions talked about blocks, even though here a block is completely different. So I pretty much aimlessly walked around in circles until I found out how to read the directions correctly. That was probably the second bggest pain of the day. Now the real fun starts! Once I found the hostel, I checked in, signed some papers, and got my hostel membership card so that I could save some money. Problem was, my dumb ass didn't stop off to get money, so I couldn't pay them. Luckily I'll be able to pay them tomorrow, no problems. Now the biggest issue with me not having any money, is that I wasn't able to buy any dinner! So as I type today's record, I'm slowly dieing of hunger. Not really, but I will be able to eat as much as I want tomorrow, so all's not lost. Today was a good experience though. I flew to Japan by myself, took the train with ease, and found my hostel with only modest trouble. I'm glad I decided to make this trip happen, and I have yet to sleep in a rice patty, so suck it!

No comments:

Post a Comment